EVERYTHING aside, WHAT are the the 2 key determinants to our overall health?
Our sense of HAPPINESS, and
The strength of CONNECTION we have with;
Ourselves (self love, worth, purpose, passion),
The people around us (friends, family, community, culture) and,
The world we live in (local, national, global, universal).
Sean Stephenson paraphrases how the Dalai Lama is able to connect authentically with everyone.
Lesson 1: Smile, with your whole body
- Smile and the whole world will smile back.
- See The story of the dog and the house of “1000” mirrors below
- PRACTICAL: Walk down the street with your head up, smile and get eye contact with as many people as you can. Note how many smile back.
Lesson 2: Playfulness
- Wisdom to not take life too seriously
- Connect with your innate intuition
- Make time to have fun, it creates attraction for other people to come join you.
- PRACTICAL: Book in something this week, where you just have fun, something you love doing with your friends and family. Note how you feel after and how the work still gets done next week.
Lesson 3: Listen.
- 2 ears and one mouth for a reason.
- Find common ground
- Be present, ask questions, clarify.
- PRACTICAL: See if you can find out 3 new things about people you have known for a while. Eg. Boss at work, best mate, mother in law. Take the time to listen. We all have things in common.
‘The House of 1000 Mirrors’. Here is the story:
Long ago in a small, far away village, there was a place known as the House of 1000 Mirrors. A small, happy little dog learned of this place and decided to visit. When he arrived, he bounced happily up the stairs to the doorway of the house. He looked through the doorway with his ears lifted high and his tail wagging as fast as it could. To his great surprise, he found himself staring at 1000 other happy little dogs with their tails wagging just as fast as his. He smiled a great smile, and was answered with 1000 great smiles just as warm and friendly. As he left the house, he thought to himself, “This is a wonderful place. I will come back and visit it often.”
On the way back home, he met his friend, another little dog, who was not quite as happy as the first one. He told him about the happy place and he decided to visit the house. He slowly climbed the stairs and hung his head low as he looked into the door. When he saw the 1000 unfriendly looking dogs staring back at him, he growled at them and was horrified to see 1000 little dogs growling back at him. As he left, he thought to himself, “That is a horrible place, and I will never go back there again.”
The moral of the story:
All the faces in the world are mirrors.
What kind of reflections do you see in the faces of the people you meet? If they are nice to you, it means you are nice to them too. All our actions are not coincidences, they are the reflections of ourselves.
If your having a bad day, show up differently tomorrow.
SHARE your take home messages with everyone below or the outcomes of trying these tasks.
PICK one practical take away on connecting and try it tomorrow.