10 reasons WHY 80% of who you are, is in your control.

by | Genes | 0 comments

SUMMARY of this Article. 

So your sharing with me that….
  • The earth is 4.6billion years old
  • The oldest human civilisation is ~40,000 years old
  • We are 98.9% genetically similar to our monkey friends,
  • 0.1% genetically different to each other, as humans.
  • For each human, on average only 20% of who we are is determined by our genetic blueprint and the other 80% is determined by environmental and external factors that happen after birth.
  • Dis-ease and accelerated ageing seems to be due to adverse environmental factors and “endocrine disrupting chemical toxins”
  • Prevention and anti-ageing might be related with helping our cells remain healthy and adapt to environmental factors. Telomerase, nutrition and managing lifestyle factors seems to be the best research we have.


1) DEBATE – Is it NATURE or NURTURE that determines who we are?

nature or nurtures convo

2) What Percentage (%) of who we are is out of our control?

What if you knew that on average only 20% of who you are is Pre-Determined by your genetics? The other 80% is in your control; Where you live, what you eat, what you do, who you surround yourself with.

3) Where do we spend our money on health and wellness?

cost of health

  Before we go on, Let us take a step back and gain some Perspective


4) How old is the Earth that we live on?

~4.6 Billion years old.
earth age

5) Ok, then how old is the longest surviving human civilisation?

40,000 + years
the-evolutionary-tree-of-religion (1)
Indigenous cultures of the world are predicted to be as old as ~40,000 years, in a world that is scientifically proven to be ~4.6 Billion years old with +/- 50 million years.
Perhaps we can learn from indigenous cultures, considering what we have done to the environment in the past 70 years with the “industrial revolution”. We have changed the landscape of our environment more in the last 70 years than we have in the previous 40,000 years. Perhaps we as the “evolving human race” are playing the largest role in the nature vs nurture debate, when 80% of who we are is in our relative control?

FUN FACT 1: What animal is most closely related to humans?
  1. Humans, chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans and their extinct ancestors form a family of organisms known as the Hominidae. Researchers generally agree that among the living animals in this group, humans are most closely related to chimpanzees, judging from comparisons of anatomy and genetics.

monkey genes

FUN FACT 2: What percentage of DNA do humans and chimpanzees share?
  1. A comparison of Clint’s genetic blueprints with that of the human genome shows that our closest living relatives share 96 percent of our DNA. The number of genetic differences between humans and chimps is ten times smaller than that between mice and rats.
FUN FACT 3: What animal are humans most genetically similar to?
  1. Bonobos, primates similar to chimpanzees, which live only in the rainforests of central Democratic Republic of Congo, share 98.9% of their DNA with humans. This species, often called the ‘pygmychimpanzee‘, numbers no more than a few tens of thousands of individuals.

FUN FACT 4: So how genetically different are we to other people we see?

  1. The genetic difference between individual humans today is minuscule – about 0.1%.

Ok, so if 20% of who we are is pre-determined.

6) Then what is DNA?

genes human

7) After birth, can these genes change, can mistakes happen?

DNA replication is a truly amazing biological phenomenon. Consider the countless number of times that your cells divide to make you who you are—not just during development, but even now, as a fully mature adult. Then consider that every time a human cell divides and its DNA replicates, it has to copy and transmit the exact same sequence of 3 billion nucleotides to its daughter cells. Finally, consider the fact that in life (literally), nothing is perfect. While most DNA replicates with fairly high fidelity, mistakes do happen. However, the body has processes to accommodate for the thousands of “mistakes” that happen daily.

8) Is anything we are doing to our body or environment affecting these replication processes?

look into what the laymen calls “toxins” and the scientists call endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs), which are substances in our environment, food, and consumer products that interfere with hormone biosynthesis, metabolism, or action resulting in a deviation from normal homeostatic control or reproduction. In simple terms, stops our body from functioning normally. So our environment and what we allow into our body can potentially affect us down to our DNA.

Toxins: Endocrine Disrupting Cells effect us down to our genes.

Ok, so let us look at two ends of the spectrum 

Disease and preventative anti-ageing.

What do we know?

9) Dis-Ease – So what is cancer and is it related to our genetics?

By definition, Cancer is a disease caused by an uncontrolled division of abnormal cells in a part of the body. So considering it is rare to be born with these cells and that our cells replicate trillions of time in our lifetime, with “mistakes” occurring and being fixed daily. Our body after birth must somehow “create” abnormal cells or allow them to occur – perhaps the endocrine disrupting chemicals and cells talked about previously play a large role here and help aid this process. Once the abnormal cell division occurs our body seems to then be unable to stop these cells from dividing uncontrollably. We usually see this as the “dis-ease” spreading or a tumour. Imagine if we could get to the cause and stop the abnormal cell division at it’s roots once it has occurred, or stop it from occurring in the first place by promoting healthy cells that can adapt to environmental stressors.  I wonder whether supporting healthy cells, a healthy immune system and minimising endocrine disrupting chemicals and cells from entering the body could be a way to prevent this uncontrolled cell growth from happening? Even using this approach in reverse to treat “cancer” considering 1 in 2 people today know someone who has had cancer of some sort. Scary, right?

Toxic Daily Consumption

Daily Consumption of “EDC’s”

10) Prevention – Can we look at this same process to promote anti-ageing?

It is believed that the science of telomeres offers the most exciting and viable possibility for extreme life extension—the kind of anti-aging strategy that can actually allow you to regenerate and in effect “grow younger.” Naturally, researchers are hard at work devising pharmaceutical strategies to accomplish this, but there’s solid evidence that simple lifestyle strategies and nutritional intervention can do this too. This is great news, as short telomeres are a risk factor not just for death itself, but for many diseases as well.



Nature vs Nurture (further reading)

Evidence Based

Answers to Questions
GMO food resource
Human Genome Project
Gene duplication:
Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals
Telomeres & Anti-ageing

Outcome Focused – Tool




Click to Get Your Copy